Friday, July 04, 2008

A Midsummer Nights Dream

I'm meeting Sam in an hour to grab a quick dinner and then see the fireworks, but for now, I'm doing some of my essential chores...like writing in my blog!

The rest of my beads finally got here on Wednesday, and I spent Wednesday night, Thursday morning, and a lot of Thursday night (with a few hours dinner break with friends) furiously beading. And I finally finished!
Between scattered showers, I took some pictures of the necklace lying flat, and Sam took some of it on my neck, and voila!

Apart from the surprise factor, I've been a little mysterious about this choker partly because I didn't know how to explain how to describe the hearts. I also didn't want to take "in progress" pictures because at the time that I ran out of beads, I only had the three stars and a few of the strands connecting them.

Figuring out "numbers" for this piece was kind of difficult because each strand had to be a different length, and I had to keep this in mind while figuring out how to make the purple hearts. I also had to figure out how to make it look finished at the back. I went with brick stitch (which I had never used before, so I just taught it to myself out of the book Sam gave me for my birthday!)

I had originally wanted to add some embellishment to the bottom of this piece. I had a few different ideas going around my head. But when I finished the choker part, I realized that it was actually done! I don't think that any sort of embellishment would have done this piece justice. I'm actually very happy with the way it turned out! :-)

Thank you so much to everyone who left me kind words during the drama that surrounded this piece! ;-)

8 comments:

GrandmaMarilyn said...

You did good. I think the choker came out just fine.

Anonymous said...

I Love your choker. I really like the hearts, they really add to your choker. Your right any embellishments on the bottom would have taken away from it.

Great Job and Good Luck!!

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

Embellishment would only have detracted from this simply wonderful piece of beadwork! Beautiful :D

SarahKelley said...

It's a beautiful piece and very you! I love that about your work-- that you've developed a style!

Melody Marie Murray said...

I agree that it's perfect just as it is!

retrothreads said...

Lovely, unique design. I love the way it turned out :-)

Miss Mish Mish said...

It's beautiful! I think it doesn't need embellishments either :)

Marlaine said...

This is such a beautiful piece! Good luck with the challenge!