Saturday, September 22, 2007

Living in Manhattan

So I'm forfeiting a couple of concert tickets to finance my knitting habit. I'm determined to buy a sewing machine first and foremost so that I can finish this freakin bag. I'm so close to being done with the knitting part. If all goes according to plan, I should have pictures of the pieces (pre-sewing) up here tomorrow. (It's not ready now because of a headache I had earlier, which itself was due to my sorry attempt at Yom Kippor fasting.)

Let it be known that I'm not completely crazy. I have been asking my parents for a sewing machine for my birthday every year for several years. Being the practical parents that they all, they had too many reservations to give in to such consumerism. When would I have the time to sew? And where would I keep the darn thing? An ipod, they reasoned, was much more practical gift. Now don't get me wrong - I don't know if I could survive without my ipod, but now that I can actually afford a sewing machine on my own, I have a job that allows me a little time to sew, and I have a bag that will not be complete without a lining, the timing is perfect.

One problem remains. I have no room at all for the thing. Somewhere along the way, I acquired an extra air conditioner, and that is under my desk. I don't even have enough space for all my clothes, resulting in piles on the floor. Not to mention the fact that I'm already an extremely messy person. If I couldn't fit a sewing machine in a large dorm room, how will I fit it in a similarly sized room that also contains a kitchen and bathroom? Well, I'll make room. Probably somewhere on the floor. Maybe I'll sell the extra air conditioner.

P.S. I still haven't forgotten about UFO month. Along with pictures of the bag (parts), I will try to get a rules posting up here tomorrow.

No comments: