Saturday, June 28, 2008

OH NO!!!

So as you may recall, as soon as I heard the theme of this month's EBW challenge, A Midsummer Nights Dream, I immediately got sketching. I worked out a pattern and ordered the beads I needed. I wasn't quite sure which colors would work best, so I ordered a few different colors in small quantities.

I actually spent a large part of this month working on gifts (more on that another day!) so my challenge piece got pushed back a little bit. I figured I could finish it this weekend.

A little while after having started the challenge piece, I realized that the colors I was using just were not working out. There was not enough of a contrast between them, so I started over, using one of the colors I had used for one of my gifts.

I don't know why this did not occur to me at the time, but I did not have enough beads in that color! Last night, I realized this, and immediately spent a small fortune on two-day shipping. They should be there by Monday or Tuesday. Problem is, I'm supposed to stay at work late on both Monday and Tuesday (tutoring is canceled this week because of the 4th of July holiday). With my job, that could have me home anywhere between 7:00 and midnight! It's not so much the beading that I am concerned about as much as the trial and error. While part of my challenge piece is in my comfort zone, part of it is something I've never done before, and it takes a while to figure out how to make it work! And then there is the photography part of it. I want to take my pictures in natural light, so I'll just have to hope that July 3rd or 4th is a nice day (for more reasons than the obvious! ;-) ) Plus, it's the type of piece that really needs to be photographed on a person. So I'll have to make sure that I'm with a person who can photograph me wearing it during bright daylight hours. The July 4th holiday might complicate things, because I'm also going to have access to my computer - i.e. be at my apartment and not a barbecue or the like, for at least part of the day. AND if this piece does not end up working out, I won't have a challenge entry at all...

Earlier this morning, I ran out of the color I needed. At least this will force me to do the seemingly never ending house work I need to do... That's actually a good thing. :-)

Anyway, this will probably all work out. I did work on the piece a lot last night, so it's not as if I have the whole thing to make. (If I hadn't already done so much work, I would have just used another color!) But this is my progress report. I have made a lot of progress - I'm just impatient and I wish I could make some more progress now! :-)

10 comments:

Kim said...

oh goodness do I hear you.
even on the piece I entered I kept changing the colors!

SarahKelley said...

heh-- This sounds so much like every challenge piece I do! They always seem so straightforward till I get into them and part of the problem is I'm always trying something for a challenge that I've never tried before!
As I labored over All Moonlight and Dewdrops I realized that all of my challenge pieces become Projects.
ANyway-- it'sll get there. I've yet to miss a deadline:)
Can't wait to see it. You should have posted some in progress pics!

MyFairLadyVT4 said...

I can't wait to see it.

beadsandblooms said...

You've really got me curious. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

GrandmaMarilyn said...

I wish you luck on getting your entry done and photographed on time. I know how it is to be running behind schedule on my beading.

Jean Hutter said...

Good luck on getting the piece done - can't wait to see it.

adina said...

Thank you so much for the encouragement! It really means a lot to me!

I hope this doesn't become anti-climactic - it's just very trial and error! :-)

Kerrie Slade said...

It all sounds very frustrating for you Adina and exciting for us - can't wait to see your challenge entry :D

Dawn N said...

I hope you get it done in time. I can't wait to see it.

Melody Marie Murray said...

I'm interested to see what you come up with!