Thursday, May 24, 2007

Woe is Being Twenty-Three

When I was sixteen, I went to France for three weeks on a school trip. I brought along a journal, good friends, and an open mind. I was determined to find myself on that trip.

Did I find myself? Not so much. I did, however, find a taste for art museums and bowls of hot chocolate.

Now that I've been a human being for a little bit longer, I've realized that behind all of the life changes I have gone through and will go through in the future, there are a few qualities that make up the base of me. Such as my love for all kinds of arts and crafts. Such as my appreciation for all things hand made, and the work, the stories, that went into thing. Such as my tendency to develope multiple hobbies, usually the same kinds of things (arts and crafts and solitary sports), take them to higher levels (or at least plan on it), but to get so overstimulated that it takes me a really long time to accomplish anything. Current example below.

So I would really like some extra cash. So I'm trying to start an arts and crafts business. Without giving too much away (more to sound mysterious than anything else), this involves selling dozens of pieces of beaded jewelry that I made as a teenager for precisely this purpose, knitted accessories, and some other crafts that will be revealed in good time (again, I'm just trying to sound mysterious, but strangely sounding like an asshole. Oh well.) At staff appreciation day at work, each staff member was given a $25 gift card to Barnes & Nobel. Today I went there after work to try to find a book of crocheted flowers. I didn't find one, but I did find myself a nice little book of Sexy Little Knits. The book is amazing, and it is stuff I can actually see myself making and wearing. I want to make many of the things in that book. So I have to fit this into my schedule too. And on top of that, I have to keep going to the gym and cooking for myself so I can actually wear these things. And have a full time job. And a social life (well, at least Sam). And at least look like I'm making an effort to keep my apartment, and my clothes, clean.

All this because Sam wanted to save money and lose weight. I sort of needed to too, and we decided that it would be fun if we did it together, which we are. But then I have to go out and get all these crazy ideas. But let's face it, that's just how I am.

No comments: