Thursday, May 17, 2007

Why I Love I-Cords

Back in the day, kids used to make pot holders out of circular strips of nylon. We would stretch them over a hollow loom and weave them in and out of each other. Even more dated to the 80s (and early 90's), even brighter neon strips of nylon would come in bags. You would buy the bags and weave the nylon around your fingers. You would twist one round strip, then another. Then you would pull the bottom strip over each finger, add another strip, and do the same to the second, etc., etc. Lots of kids liked to have them over the backs of their hands, but I, being the weird - err...artsy?? kid that I was, I liked to have them over the palm of my hand. To feel my tactile creation. Sometimes, if we didn't have neon nylon strips, we would just use yarn.

And that is just what I-cords are! (Well, they would be, if we only had three fingers.) And that is why I love them.

No comments: