Monday, April 23, 2007

Yesterday was a lot of fun. The weekend was beautiful, and I decided to walk from my apartment to Knit New York at Union Square. I wanted to start really checking out the knitting scene, and I also wanted to walk for a really long time and soak up the sunshine.

Two summers ago, I lived in New York for six weeks in the dorms at Columbia (I took a summer class there). I spent many days walking down Broadway. Often, my destination was School Products Co., but that place is closed on Sundays. But that was a lot of fun, and I want to start doing things like that again.

Having a day to myself is always nice. I decided to take Broadway all the way down, for old times' sake. I stopped along the way for a hot dog, water, an iced chai latte, and new mascara. Then I finally reached Knit New York, a knitting store and cafe all in one. Brilliant. I found some bulky pale pink yarn for my mom's birthday hat (Laines Du NordSorftlight) and a cool blue for my own (Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed). Unfortunately I have chosen the worst time of the year to go on my hat kick. At least it's autumn in Sydney (Aussies never say "fall"), so my mom will get use out of her hat right away. Ah well. Such is life.

I bought a corn muffin (just as Sam called from Denmark, which made the day even better!) and ate it while I knit my swatch (I've finally begun to make a habit of this, and not nearly soon enough).

I didn't stay long, probably because nothing compares to my old turf in philly, but then Amna came down and met me and we went out for yummy yummy sushi. And we went back to her place and I started my mom's hat. My mom's birthday is May 17 but I have to finish it a little early if I'm going to mail it to her. Thank god for bulky yarn and big needles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You KNIT??? What are you, a third wave FEMINIST???

Love,
Jessie

adina said...

shock horror! :)