Sunday, September 10, 2006

Separation Anxiety


I forgot to mention that the headband I was making the other night is from Summer 2006 Interweave Knits. There is a picture in the magazine and then you can download the pattern from the Interweave website. I downloaded it about a month ago, so I’m not sure if it’s still up.

Well I finished it! Started it on Friday night and finished on Saturday night. Yes, I know that I’m twenty-two years old…but I had to stay home to study for the LSAT. So I spent more time (at least on Friday night) knitting…oh well. I couldn’t help it. The yarn was calling me. And the pattern was just perfect. It wasn’t hard so I could still knit while watching Roseanne reruns, yet it was complicated enough to keep me interested.

Today I had a practice LSAT test. Then I walked over to the Philadelphia Knit-Out at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. I really wanted to go last year because it would have been really helpful for my thesis, but I only figured out that knitting was definitely my topic and that the Knit-Out even existed the day before it happened. It was a lot smaller than I expected. When I home in Sydney this Summer (Winter), my mom and I went to a craft festival (with an emphasis on Quilting) at the Sydney Exhibition Center. Compared to this, that festival was huge. There was a room of classes, but it wasn’t the type of classes I was expecting, probably because there were so many people at each station. I couldn’t really tell who was instructing.

The best part was the goody bag. It came with size 17 knitting needles, patterns, a booklet of new knitting books that are coming out (some of which look really awesome), a booklet of charities that accept knitted items, and free yarn!

Someone asked me if my headband (that I, of course, am wearing today) was from Interweave Magazine. It reminded me of the part of my thesis where I talk about the recognition of yarns and patterns as a commonality that connects knitters. The whole event would have received an honorable mention somewhere in that thing. Even the way I write about it (and about knitting in general) sounds like an excerpt from my field notes. I must let go! I must beak free! I am turning into such a dork that it’s not even funny anymore.

No comments: