Saturday, February 08, 2014

Let the Games Begin! (and let the blog resume)

I didn't blog at all in 2013. That year was kind of crazy. I learned that I passed the bar, I got a job that I truly love, and I got married!

But now that things have been in place for a while, I've been knitting a lot, and I've been thinking about knitting a lot. The college thesis that I finished writing almost eight years ago is still on my mind, and twenty-two year old me would be fascinated with a) the knitting world as I call it, and b) the knitting skills that I have learned over the years, and the skills that I want to improve. So my blog is still a good place to write down my thoughts about knitting.

And no better place to start than the Ravellenic Games! I remember 2006 when almost all of my knitting groups were swept up in what Yarn Harlot termed the Knitting Olympics. The idea was to pick a project and try to finish it, casting on at the opening ceremony of the Olympics and trying to finish by the end of the closing ceremony. I was fascinated that members of the various knitting groups I attended were so into the project. I really wanted to participate, but I was too busy with school. Over the next six years, there was always something keeping me from participating in the Knitting Olympics. I can't remember what happened in 2008, but I think I may have been visiting my family in Australia, but in 2010 and 2012, it was definitely law school. After Ravelry started, people started calling this thing this thing a cross between Ravelry and the Olympics, but then Ravelry apparently got a cease and desist letter. So now it's called the Ravellenic Games. (Get it? Like the Hellenic Games?) Now there are events to enter, and sub-events, and team captains. It's so organized! So I decided to be team captain for my knitting group! We had cast on last night (and I must admit, I was exhausted after a crazy week at work, and I wasn't at my knitting best - drifting into naps during the second half of the opening ceremony until I finally gave into my sleepiness and went home a little early). But I started the Sporty Cardigan, a little hoodie for my baby nephew. Already it seems that finishing by the end of the 16 days may or may not happen, but I really want to give this to him before he turns 1 (especially since I'm making the 12-month size) and at the very least, this will definitely give me a good kick start. I'm so excited to finally be an Olympic knitter!!


No comments: